Healthy Recipe for Kids
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups enriched flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 cup chopped and pared apples
- 1/4 cup apple juice or milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup golden raisins (optional)
- Combine margarine, sugars, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Sift flour with soda.
- Add 1/2 of flour mixture to margarine mixture and blend.
- Stir in apples, raisins, apple juice or milk, and egg.
- Add the remaining flour; mix.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 11 to 14 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet while hot.
Yield: 30 servings
Serving size: 1 cookie
Snack Suggestion: One apple cookie and 1/2 cup of chocolate milk
(A child can help measure ingredients and drop dough by teaspoonful onto the baking sheet.)
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 2 T. flour
- 1/4 t. salt
- 2 c. milk, preferably lowfat
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 c. whipping or all-purpose cream
- 1 1/2 T. vanilla
Mix sugar, flour, and salt and add milk. Cook slowly over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Mix a small amount of hot milk mixture with the beaten eggs. Combine the two mixtures and stir over heat, cooking for one minute. Chill custard mixture; add whipped cream and vanilla.
To make ice cream: Place half of the ingredients in a one-quart coffee can with a tight fitting plastic lid (or other type of container). Put the lid on the can. Set the filled can inside a three-pound shortening can with a tightly sealed, plastic lid. Pack crushed ice or snow around the smaller can. Pour 3/4 cup of rock salt evenly over the ice. Place the lid on the larger can. Have two people shake or roll the can back and forth for about 10 minutes. Remove the inner can, open the lid, and use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and stir ingredients. Drain water from the large can. Insert the small can back in the large can. Pack with more ice and salt. Roll back and forth for another five minutes. Each can makes about three cups ice cream. This recipe makes six cups in all.